1. What are the processes involved in the levying of assessment rates on rateable holdings?
Process of How Assessment Rates are charged on Rateable Holdings are :
(i) Receive information of Completed New Building vide
(ii) Referencing Done
(iii) Valuation Done Based on
Tone of the list principle "Basis is annual rateable value"
(iv) Valuation Approved By:-
(v) Rating Section
(vi) Assessment Bill Despatched
2. What is Rating Valuation?
The Council’s Rating Valuation is based mainly on the Annual Value Method.
Factors to consider when determining the Unit Rental Value are:-
(i) The type or class of building.
(ii) The location of the building.
(iii) The structure and condition of the building.
(iv) The amenities available to the area and other factors.
(v) Floor area.
3. What is Assessment Rates?
Assessment rates or house rates is the rate levied to all rateable holdings within Padawan
Municipal Council’s jurisdiction.
What is the purpose of levying assessment rates?
Purpose of Rating:
(i) To provide the local authority with the revenue it requires for providing public services.
(ii) To ensure every house owner (ratepayer) contributes his fair share towards Council’s funded services. The Council is given the power to levy rates under Section 61 of the Local Authorities Ordinance 1996. Padawan Municipal Council only levy rates on buildings. Vacant lots are not assessed. The amount of rates payable depends on the annual rateable value and the rate percentage levied on the type of Council’s services enjoyed by the premise.
4. What are the types/classification of rates levied by the Council?
Classification of Rates
(i) General Purpose
(ii) Road Maintenance
(iii) Street Lighting
(v) Waste Management
* Illustration on how rates are levied:-
(a) The premise has been assessed with an annual rateable value of RM450.
(b) Services enjoyed by the premise are road maintenance , lighting , waste management and scavenging services.
(c) Breakdown analysis of rates levied:-
5. What are the types of properties exempted from rates?
The type of properties which are exempted from rates are government properties and the properties for the purpose of :-
ii) Public Education
6. When is the due date for payment of assessment rates?
1st Half Year bills : 31 MAY
2nd HalfYear bills: 31 OCTOBER
Yearly bills : 31 OCTOBER
7. What is meant by the due date for payment of rates?
Due date for payment is the last day to pay without being charged of any default fee.
8. When is the default fee on late payment effective?
Default fee on late payment is effective from 1st January, 1992.
9. How is default fee levied?
Default fee levied is 1% monthly on payment made after the due date of payment.
10. How are the ways in which assessment rates can be paid?
Assessment rates can be paid by:-
(a) Cash/Postal Order/Money Order.
(c) Online (Electronic Bill Presentment and Payment System) at http://www.paybillsmalaysia.com
11. Where can payment of assessment rates be made?
Payment of bill can be made at
(a) SBBS Counter at Council’s Office, Kota Padawan
(b) Council's Counter at Batu Kawah New Township
(c) SBBS Counters managed by :
1. Dewan Bandaraya Kuching Utara
2. Majlis Bandaraya Kuching Selatan
4. Kuching Water Board
5. Telekom Malaysia
6. Pos Malaysia Berhad and All Mini Pos
(d) H&L Supermarket Outlets
(e) Urban Transformation Centre
1. SBBS COUNTERS
Monday - Friday 8.00 a.m. - 3.30 p.m.
Types of bills paid at SBBS Counters:
(a) MPP bills
(b) Water bills (KWB)
(c) Telephone bills (Telekom)
(d) Electricity bills (SESCO)
(e) DBKU Assessment bills
(f) MBKS Assessment bills
Express Cheque Payment / Drop-in-Box
The Express cheque payment is introduced by MPP in July, 2005 for the convenience of the rate-payers to pay the current MPP Assessment bills. (i.e. bills which are not overdue) using cheque only. The Express Payment Box is installed at the Treasury Counter. The rate-payers need to fill in their particulars on the envelope provided at the counter and deposit the cheque and bills in the envelop into the box. Receipts of payment will be posted back to the ratepayers by mail.
Telephone Contact No: 082-615566 (Ext.103)
All bills from suppliers or any form of payment to Contractors, Vendors etc would be settled within one (1) month from the date of receipt of the bills provided that all the relevant documents are supplied in order and certified correct.
Telephone contact No: 082-615566 (Ext. 102)
(i) Application Form
Application Form is obtainable from the Public Health and Services Division, Padawan Municipal Council by paying a processing fee of RM5.00.
(ii) Completed application form shall be submitted to the Council’s Registry Section together with the following documents:
(a) Letter from the Ketua Kaum/Penghulu to certify that the applicant is
from that kampung.
(b) Copy of the latest paid up Assessment Bill
(c) Letter of Consent from House owner if the house is not owned by
(d) Copy of Identity Card
(e) 2 nos. of recent passport-sized photos
(iii) Submission of Application Form
Application form may be sent by POST or personally; addressed to:
Padawan Municipal Council
Kota Padawan, 10th Mile, Jalan Penrissen
2. Approval Conditions
(i) Applicant must be Bumiputera
(ii) All application form shall be complete with relevant documents attached
(iii) Inspected/supported by Health Inspector/Administrative Officer
(iv) Approved by Market, Licensing, Hawkers and Petty Traders Standing Meeting
3. Payment of Licence
RM36.00 per year
4. Renewal of Licence
The licence shall expire on 31 December of each year and should be renewed within 42 days from the expiry date.
Under the Kuching Rural District Council (Licensing of Miscellaneous Occupations) By-Laws, operating a village shop without a valid licence from the Council is an offence.
Penalty: A fine of RM50.00 for the first offence, and for the second or subsequent offence, a fine of RM100.00.
(i) Application Form
Application form is obtainable from the Public Health and Services Division, Padawan Municipal Council by paying a processing fee of RM5.00 OR RM20.00 depending on the types of licence.
(ii) Completing the Application Form
Completed Application Form shall be submitted to the Council’s Registry Section together with the following documents:
(a) Floor Plan
(b) Copy of Land Title/Occupation Permit
(c) Tenancy Agreement
(d) Consent letter
(e) Copy of Identity Card
(f) 2 nos. of recent passport sized photos
(g) Copy of the latest paid up Assessment Bill
(iii) Submission of Application Form
Application Form may be sent by Post or personally; addressed to:
Padawan Municipal Council
Kota Padawan, 10th Mile Jalan Penrissen
2. Approval Conditions
Application form should be completed with relevant documents attached.
To comply with health requirements.
Inspected/supported by Health Inspector/Administrative Officer
Approved by Market, Licensing, Hawkers and Petty Traders Standing
3. Health Requirements
After the application has been approved by the relevent Standing Committee but prior to the issuance of the licence, the applicant should comply with the following health requirements:
(for Food Stall, Tea and Coffee, Beer and Liquor Licences)
(a) To provide tiled flooring for the food premise
(b) To provide glazed wall tiles up to 5 feet from the floor surface
(c) To provide adequate toilet facilities
(d) To provide adequate ventilation and lighting for the premise
(e) To provide adequate number of wash hand basins
(f) To provide Grease Trap and Food Waste Strainers below the sink for coffee shop.
(g) All food handlers should undergo medical examination
(h) All food handlers should attend the Food Handler Course.
4. Expiry and Renewal of Licence
All licence shall expire on 31 December of each year and should be renewed within 42 days from the expiry date.
Under the Kuching Rural District Council (Licensing of Miscellaneous Occupations) By-Laws, operating a coffee shop without a valid licence from the Council is an offence.
Penalty : A fine of RM50.00 for the first office, and for the second or subsequent offence, a fine of RM100.00.
6. Payment of Licence
M - To Be Paid Monthly
Q - To Be Paid Quarterly
The rest are paid Annually
A. ENTERTAINMENT LICENCES
1. Theatre & Cinema - RM100.00 (M)
2. Laser Disc - RM300.00 (Q)
3. Karaoke - RM 50.00 (M)
4. Billiard Saloon RM 60.00 (Q)
5. Billiard Saloon (2 tables) - RM120.00 (Q)
6. Billiard Saloon (4 tables) - RM240.00 (Q)
7. Billiard Saloon (7 tables) - RM420.00 (Q)
8. Billiard Saloon (8 tables) - RM480.00 (Q)
9. Entertainment (Disco & Dancing hall) - RM 50.00 (M)
10. Entertainment(Pub) - RM 50.00 (M)
B. HAWKER LICENCES
1. Itinerant Hawker - RM 60.00
2. Isolated Shop/Kedai Terpencil - RM 60.00
3. Natives Village Shop/Kedai Kampung - RM 36.00
4. Hawking without Wheel Barrow - RM 84.00
5. Hawking with Wheel Barrow - RM120.00
6. Hawking using Motor, Van, Lori Pick-up - RM180.00
7. Lock Up Stall - RM 25.00 (Q)
8. Hawker Centre - RM 60.00
C. LIQUOR LICENCES
1. Arrack Licences - RM 60.00 (Q)
2. Beer & Stout (Off Premises) - RM 60.00 (Q)
3. Beer & Stout (On Premises) - RM 90.00 (Q)
4. Liquor Wholesale - RM150.00 (Q)
5. Retail Liquor - RM120.00 (Q)
6. Selling of liquor (Social Club) - RM 90.00 (Q)
7. Liquor (Off Public House) - RM 90.00 (Q)
D. PETROLEUM & LPG LICENCES
1. Gas Stock < 364 Kg. - RM 10.00
2. Gas Stock > 365 Kg. < 19,000 Kg. - RM 100.00
3. Gas Stock > 91,000 Kg. - RM 200.00
4. Storage of Gas < 364 Lit. (2 types) - RM 20.00
5. Petroleum Storage < 727 Lit. - RM 10.00
6. Petroleum Storage < 181,844 Lit. - RM 100.00
7. Storage of Petroleum > 727 Lit. (3 types) - RM 30.00
8. Petrol Station > 181,844 Lit. - RM 200.00
9. Storage of Petroleum < 727 Lit. (4 types) - RM 40.00
10. Petroleum Station < 182,000 Lit. (4 types) - RM 400.00
11. Storage of Petroleum < 727 Lit. (2 types) - RM 20.00
12. Depo Minyak - RM1,800.00
13. Stesen Minyak < 182,000 (2 types) - RM 200.00
14. Stesen Minyak < 182,000 (3 types) - RM 300.00
E. MARKET LICENCES
1. Curry Paste/Power - RM 84.00
2. Bean Curd - RM 84.00
3. Fruit Seller - RM 84.00
4. Cake Seller - RM 84.00
5. Fresh Fish - RM 120.00
6. Fixed Vegetable Stall & Tables - RM 120.00
7. Food Stall & Tables - RM 120.00
8. Food Stall & Tables (Pickles/Jeruk) - RM 120.00
9. Food Stall & Tables (Rojak/kacang Ice) - RM 84.00
10. Meat & General Food (Poultry) - RM 180.00
11. Meat & General Food (Pork) - RM 180.00
12. Meat & General Food (Frozen) - RM 180.00
13. Sundries/Groceries Runcit - RM 84.00
14. Cooked/Smoked/Dried/Salted Fish - RM 84.00
15. Crab/Shell Fish - RM 120.00
16. Pickled Vegetables - RM 120.00
17. Meat & General Food (Beef) - RM 180.00
18. Cekor Stall - RM 2.00
19. Live Chicken -RM 180.00
20. Flower Pot Seller - RM 84.00
21. Paste Seller -RM 25.00 (Q)
F. MISCELLANEOUS LICENCES
1. Barber Licence - RM 2.00
2. Lodging House (more than 10 Rooms):per room - RM10.00
3. Tea & Coffee - RM 180.00
4. Aerated Water Factory - RM 480.00
5. Soy Bean Factory - RM 360.00
6. Tiles/Pottery Factory (By Hand) - RM 50.00
7. Tiles/Pottery Factory (By Machine) - RM 720.00
8. Bakery & Biscuit Factory - RM 240.00
9. Non-Carbonated Drinks Factory - RM 360.00
10. Canteen - RM 180.00
11. Sauce Factory - RM 360.00
12. Edible Oil Factory - RM 480.00
13. Hotel Licence (6 Rooms) - RM 60.00
14. Scrape Rubber Processing Factory - RM 100.00
15. Brick Burner - RM 24.00
16. Noodle Factory By Machine - RM 120.00
17. Coffee Powder Manufacture - RM 120.00
18. Food Shop - RM 180.00
19. Restaurant - RM 240.00
20. Vegetable and Fruit Shop - RM 120.00
21. Gambling Outlet - RM1,000.00
22. Laundry - RM 12.00
23. Soap processing factory - RM 24.00
24. Ice Processing Factory - RM 24.00
25. Lodging House (not more than 10 Rooms) - RM 12.00
26. Food Factory - RM 360.00
27. Balacan Processing Factory - RM 24.00
28. Bottle Buyer - RM 2.00
29. Brick Burner - RM 24.00
30. Slaughter House - RM 100.00
31. Pickled Vegetable Processing Factory - RM 120.00
32. Curry Processing Factory - RM 120.00
33. Snack Food Factory - RM 360.00
34. Chocolate Processing Factory - RM 360.00
35. Ice-cream Factory - RM 360.00
36. Fish Product Processing Factory - RM 360.00
37. Food Processing Factory - RM 360.00
38. Meat Processing Factory - RM 180.00
39. Charcoal Seller - RM 120.00
1. Who to contact for enquiries or request for service on:
A.) Scavenging Services
Please contact the Trienekens (Sarawak) Sdn Bhd. through the telephone number 082- 422515 or 082-237000
B) Desludging Service
Please contact the Public Health and Services Division of Padawan Municipal Council through the telephone number 082-615566
1. How to apply?
(a) All applications for hanging of banner should be submitted and addressed to:
Padawan Municipal Council
Kota Padawan, 10th Mile,
P O Box 620
(b) The following information has to be furnished together with the application:
(i) Purpose and date of hanging the banner
(ii) Location/place with sketch plan showing where the banner is to be hung
(iii) Design/size of banner
(c) Applicant is required to pay a deposit to ensure all the conditions of the permit are complied with.
2. Processing of Application For Issuance of Permit
(a) The processing is immediately done after the application has been received by the Administration Division
(b) If the application complies with all the conditions, the applicant will be informed within two (2) days.
Permit will be issued with the following conditions:
(i) The size of the banner/banners shall not exceed 20’ x 3’;
(ii) Any advertisement symbols at both ends of the banner/banners shall not occupy more than 1/3 of the banner/banners;
(iii) Cigarette or liquor advertisements are not allowed to be displayed on the banner/banners;
(iv) The banner/banners shall only be displayed two weeks before the event and shall be removed two days after;
(v) The consent of the registered owners of the premises shall first be obtained;
(vi) The banner/banners shall be properly fastened and shall not be allowed to remain in a shabby manner;
(vii) The banner/banners shall not be hung stretching across the road;
(viii) The banner/banners shall not be nailed or tied to any tree and palm planted by the Council on road reserves.
(ix) At least 1/8 of space of the banner shall be set aside for suitable slogan beneficial to the general public e.g. “Keep our environment clean”, etc.
3. Forfeiture of Deposit
(a) Banner must be removed at the latest two (2) days after the end of the event.
(b) Failure to remove the banner within two (2) days will result in the forteiture of RM50.00 deposit.
Under the Road Traffic (Restricted Traffic) KRDC Amendment Order 1980, the use of any motor vehicle of any weight in excess of that specified in the first column of the Schedule is prohibited on the roads specified in the second column of the Schedule, unless the driver or owner of the vehicle has obtained a permit from the Secretary of Padawan Municipal Council.
Description of Motor Vehicle
Name of Road
5 Tonnes (5,000 Kg)
Jalan Khun Ping
Jalan Capital Garden
Jalan Kpg. Haji Baki
Jalan Everbright Park,
Jalan Metro Park, Batu Kawa
Jalan Bukit Cahaya
Jalan Batu Kawa Lorong No.1
3.5 Tonnes (3,500 Kg)
Jalan Segu Giam
Jalan Tanjung Embang
Requirement On The submission Of Application
1. All applications in Prescribed Form obtainable from the Engineering Division of Padawan Municipal Council must be submitted for consideration at least 7 days before the date of using the road.
2. For the transportation of earth, deposits in accordance with the Schedule below are payable to the Council before the issuance of permit for a period not exceeding one month for each application.
Number of Trips
Amount of Deposit
Not more than 5 trips
Exceeding 5 but below 50 trips
Exceeding 50 but below 200 trips
Exceeding 200 but below 400 trips
Exceeding 400 trips
RM1,000.00 plus RM300.00 for every
100 subsequent trips
3. For the transportation of other building materials and merchandised goods, permit for a period not exceeding one year for each application is issued free of charge.
4. Application for Road Permits will be approved by the Council within 7 days from the date of receipt of the application, provided that all the necessary information as stated in the prescribed form are provided and the relevant deposits are paid.
5. For more information, please write to or contact:
Padawan Municipal Council
10th Mile Penrissen Road
P O Box 620
Telephone No.: 615566
1. What are the other services provided by the Padawan Municipal Council?
A) The Public Health and Services Division also provide the following services:
For enquiries or request for the above services, please contact Public Health and Services Division of Padawan Municipal Council through telephone 082-615566
B) The Engineering Division also provide the following services:
For enquiries or request for the above services, please contact Engineering Division of Padawan Municipal Council through telephone 082-615566
To speed up the repair for faulty street lights, please cal Sarawak Energy (SEB) 1 300 88 3111 (24 hour SEB Customer Care) or MPP 082-615566 (Working Hour 8am – 5pm)